Category Archives: Pastors
What age did you know you would serve serve the Lord and what were the circumstances?
Out of 22 questions that came in recently at our Sisterhood Christmas party, here’s number 6. (I’ll answer more over time)
My parents were attending a small Church that was very poor and the Pastor had no pulpit. My father offered to build him one and the Church was thrilled. For weeks my dad worked on creating the most beautiful pulpit. He measured his Pastor and built it for his height so his Bible would be perfectly placed to preach from. Read More
Who are you grateful for? After sitting around the kitchen table where LaCinda prepared a beautiful breakfast casserole for Thanksgiving, I can’t help thinking about the people that give my life meaning and joy. Thanksgiving is a day that celebrates the goodness of God, and His provision of the things and people in our lives who have paved the way for us. So, here are a few of the people I am grateful for:
I am grateful for all those who have seen a need, even when none was mentioned.
I am grateful for my sons and daughter-in-law, Stetson & Cristina (and Asher my grandson!), and Sterling, who all bring me great pride and joy. I am especially grateful for LaCinda, whose beauty on the inside and outside, has filled my life with passion, love, excitement, and meaning. Her influence is far reaching because she builds her life around others.
I am truly grateful for you, and the many Champions like you, who have served, sacrificed, supported, and stayed in love with the vision that God so graciously breathed into our hearts – and continues to do so.
I am grateful for the leaders and staff of Champion Church, both paid and unpaid, who daily lay their lives down to make a difference. I am grateful for the “Dream Team” of people who make Champion happen, from the Welcoming Team to the Production Team, to the Admin Team, the Worship Team, the Little Champs Team, the Kids Studio Team, the Service Attendants Team, the Prayer Team, the Dance Team, the Starbucks Team, and the many ministry team leaders and team members that make Men’s ministry, Women’s ministry, Youth ministry, Connect group ministry, and kids ministry happen. I am especially grateful for the Outreach Teams who go into our city taking the love and hope of Jesus to those who need it the most.
I am grateful for the Setup and Outdoor Production Teams that make our citywide events happen each year.
I am grateful for every dollar given to build God’s house because although there is a sacrifice attached to every gift, there is also God’s Blessing attached to it as well.
“And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.” 1 Thessalonians 2:13
What is your Number?
My First Blog
Someone” gave me a number”. Not exactly sure what it means but the best I can figure it means I have to share 10 random things about myself. I asked my sixteen year old what it means and she said, ” I have no idea. Facebook is for old people. Everybody does snap chat now.” Whatever that is.
One of those “old” Facebook friends of mine suggested that we should all share random things about ourselves because it would help us all get to know each other better. Great idea! So here is my top 10.
- I do not have a receding hairline. My hair has always covered the same area. I just have less of it than I use to.
- I get really irritated when people doubt God’s willingness and eagerness to heal us. They say things like, “..heal me Father…if it’s your will.” Believe it! And then leave the how and when to God. But believe it with every fiber of your being.
- I was a Royal Cadet, the Jr. Chapter of the Canadian Army in Canada. It is a lot like the Boy Scouts but with a ROTC kind of discipline.
- When I get involved in a project I get really pumped about it because I can see the ultimate goal so clearly. It’s just a matter of knocking out the steps in between one at a time until it is done.
- I grew up in the big city of Vancouver, BC. Being a city kid, my favorite thing to do after school was to go to the arcades. Now, as an adult, I play Ikarim to unwind. That is the only game I play now. I don’t bother playing Play Station because it isn’t fun losing to a 14 year old all the time.
- I am amazed that it is November and I am still wearing shorts. It’s crazy. It’s awesome. I will never get tired of that…or will I? I hope not.
- Every night before I went to bed my mom and I would say to each other, “Goodnight. Love you. See you in the morning.” I couldn’t go to sleep unless we said it to each other. Shirlee and I have said it each night of our 19 year marriage. It is sure hard to go to bed mad or offended saying that. More than once we have stayed up till the early hours of the morning working things out so we could say that and mean it.
- When I was about 14 I got stuck in a chain link fence while playing football. I caught the ball and started running. Everybody was looking at me funny and I couldn’t understand why. I guess I had blood all over me. It didn’t phase me because I had and still have a very high threshold for pain.
- I hardly ever watch just TV I have to have three other things going on. I watch TV, listen to live stream sermons of podcast and do my online class all at the same time. It drives my wife crazy but It works for me. Oh, I DO NOT watch commercials. I use that time to watch other tv shows.
- I have been in poverty growing up but God always gave us food and clothes to wear. I have suffered devastating disappointments but God worked it out better than it could have ever been the first way. People have let me down, but God has always been there and never failed me, God has always kept his promises. God has always brought people into my life who have loved and encouraged. I am incredibly blessed to be apart of the Champion family, working under two of the greatest pastors in the world!
Champions! I’m giving you a number. Your number is 3. Yes, it’s a small number but It’s a start. Share three things about yourself with someone else this week. Get to know each other. Let’s do life together! I’m so thankful for each and everyone at Champion church we are so blessed to be a part of a incredible family and look forward to see the great things that God has in store for all of us. We have only lived in Yuma for about 5 months how and it feels so much like home. We truly have come home to a great family.
It’s Refreshing to be Refreshing
Refreshing - Pastor Stephen and myself have gone to Living Word Bible Church this weekend to attend their Leadership, Pastors, and Worship conference called ‘FX Rise 2013′. It’s always great to be able to take some time to get a refreshing trip away for a few days and get your heart realigned with your visions and passions God placed in your heart. I have found that you can easily find yourself living in a bubble in life. I remember being in college a couple years ago in Australia and being surrounded in what we called the ‘Hillsong bubble’. Our bubble consisted of Church, Home, and Coles; the local grocery store. Luckily for us, Read More
We stand on the shoulders of giants, who have paved the way, and made God-sized dreams possible.
I am so motivated to expand the kingdom of God and take new ground when I think about people like Billy Graham (Video: Billy Graham Paved The Way). God put William Randolph Hearst in one of Billy’s early meetings in Los Angeles, and being touched by the message, Mr Hearst who was the leading newspaper mogul in the country, decided to promote Billy Graham through his newspaper. By the end of that crusade, 350,000 people had attended which was an unprecedented number in the 1950′s. Over the past 60 yrs, Billy Read More
Using your social influence for Jesus.
I remember reading a while back that the United States became a leader in the global economy during the 1900′s because it capitalized on cross-country commerce and communication through the transcontinental railroad. It was the information superhighway of it’s day.
Zip forward to today and the same concepts are at play. Countries that are looking for an advantage in our changing world are placing a priority on the internet. It’s today’s way to communicate and do business online. Virtually everyone I know has a smartphone with the internet built in. Statistically I know they will spend a double-digit amount of time online on any given day. I think it’s a safe assumption that a high percentage of that time will be spent on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. People spend their time on Social media. It’s the most communication oriented thing to do online. Read More
Enlarging Our Territory!
1 Chronicles 4:10 (NIV)
Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.
I’m so excited to announce that God is “enlarging our territory” as we launch the first Sunday of our new Champion Extension Service to be held at the Yuma Palms RV Resort. Our vision is to see many extension services birthed over the coming year, both in our city and beyond. These services will take Champion into the neighborhoods and communities of Yuma and other cities, and extend our ministry’s reach to so many more people with the unconditional life-giving message of Jesus Christ.
I want to inspire people. I want someone to look at me and say, ‘Because of you, I didn’t give up.’
It was so encouraging to see this Instagram post from @laur3ncraft! I wanted to share it with those who inspire me the most in life… You, the Champion!!
It’s SO important for us to stop and pause, taking a moment to reflect on the BLESSING and INSPIRATION we are in the lives of others. “YOU” ARE A TRUE BLESSING and “YOU” INSPIRE MANY!!!
Today Pastor Stephen and I were out at the Pumpkin Patch and seeing all the orange tee-shirts was an incredible sight. Of course the Champion Volunteers were in full form as they prepared to lead little ones from station to station.